Soil Moisture Indicator
Monitoring soil moisture levels is required for effective irrigation water management. Irrigation water management requires timely application of the right amount of water. Competition for water, high pumping costs, and concerns for the environment are making good water management more important.
Measuring soil moisture, detects if there is a water shortage that can reduce yields or if there is excessive water application that can result in water logging or leaching of nitrates below the root zone. Measuring soil moisture also can build an awareness and knowledge of each irrigated field that is invaluable for planning and management.
Who can buy?
- Field staff
- Sugar Mills
- Agricultural Institute
- Can be given away as a gifts at the agricultural events.
Directions for using the SMI
- Locate the place where you would like to check the soil moisture status.
- Insert the SMI vertically depending on the root zone of the crop. Press the switch and HOLD till the LED light stops on a particular coloured LED depending on the moisture status.
- Refer to the table on the SMI for the status of the soil moisture depending on the LED colour from the point number 2.
Don’t use the SMI just after the irrigation. Use the instrument in soil before irrigation.
- Instant indication of the soil moisture status.
- Indicates soil moisture level with more objectivity by different coloured LED’s.
- Saves water, current and time.
- Suitable for different types of soils.
- Suitable for use in nurseries, farms, potted plants, etc.
Table for reading the soil moisture status on instrument:
|Colour of LED
||Soil Moisture Status
||No need for irrigation
||Immediate irrigation may not be necessary
||Very Low Moisture
||Immediate Irrigation necessary